Whether this is your first skillet cookie or you’re a seasoned pro, making a skillet cookie with brown butter elevates this simple treat to a new level.
If you’re unfamiliar with brown butter, making it is a breeze. And this cookie is the perfect application for it, with all the other cookie ingredients coming together in the same skillet.
I’ll keep things short and sweet. There’s a quick video tutorial below, as well as recipe card for you to print or save below that. Let me know in the comments below if you have a recipe or ingredient question.
And if you love this brown butter skillet cookie, I greatly appreciate recipe reviews!
Brown Butter Skillet Cookie with Dark Chocolate & Walnuts
Nutty, toasty brown butter is combined with walnuts, oats, and dark chocolate to make an elevated chocolate chip skillet cookie.
- 1 1/2 sticks (169g) Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup (200g) Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Whole Egg
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cup (180g) All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (20g) Rolled Oats
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 4 oz Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 3 oz Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In an 11” skillet*, brown the butter over medium heat. Stir constantly and scrape the bottom of the pan with a heatproof rubber spatula. Once the butter melts it will begin to bubble before developing a layer of foam on top. When the particles at the bottom of the pan start to brown and develop an amber color, remove from the heat.
- Allow the browned butter to cool in the skillet for 15 to 20 minutes. While the butter is cooling, begin preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Add the granulated sugar, and brown sugar to the skillet with the cooled browned butter and stir until combined.
- Add the whole egg and two egg yolks and stir until fully incorporated.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir together.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, rolled oats, baking soda, baking powder, kosher salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the skillet and fold into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in the chopped chocolate and chopped walnuts until evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Spread the cookie dough evenly across the skillet, before placing in the oven.
- Bake at 375ºF for 25 minutes, until the top is golden brown
*I used a Staub enameled cast iron skillet. Unless you have a well seasoned standard cast iron skillet, you might want to transfer the batter out of the skillet to grease the skillet or add a circle of parchment paper to prevent sticking.
Recipe adapted from Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serving Size:1/18 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 14gCarbohydrates: 25gProtein: 3g