This chicken and biscuits pot pie combines a creamy rotisserie chicken and vegetable filling with the best homemade buttermilk biscuits on the internet. While that may sound like an exaggeration, I’ve tested the web’s most popular biscuits recipes to find the flakiest, fluffiest biscuits in the game.
Don’t feel up to making homemade biscuits? No worries. This biscuit pot pie works fine with store-bought biscuits. Either way, you’re in for a treat.
You’ll find a recipe card below that you can print out for convenience. If you have a question about the recipe I forgot to cover, ask away in the comments at the bottom of the post. And if you love this chicken and biscuits pot pie, I always appreciate recipe reviews!
Dutch Oven Chicken and Biscuits
Creamy rotisserie chicken pot pie filling topped with a crust of golden brown buttermilk biscuits.
For the Biscuits*
- 3 1/2 cups (420g) All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 sticks (8 oz) Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Buttermilk
For the Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 4 Celery Hearts, diced
- 4 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken without Skin (about 14 oz), cubed**
- 3 oz Parmigiano Reggiano or Parmesan, grated
- 1 cup (170g) Frozen Green Peas
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
For the Buttermilk Biscuits
- Add the dry ingredients to a food processor and pulse together. Add the butter and pulse 10-15 times until the largest pieces of butter are the size of a pea. Remove the food processor blade and add the buttermilk. Mix with a fork until a scruffy dough forms.
- Transfer to a flat surface and knead to form a 1" tall rectangle. Cut the dough into four pieces and stack on top of one another. Press the dough down and roll into another 1" tall rectangle.
- Cut the dough into 16 pieces and place in the freezer until ready to bake.
For the Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery, salt, and pepper. Stir and continue cooking until the veggies begin to soften, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic powder, nutmeg, and thyme.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cook until the liquid has reduced by about half, another 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the peas, parmigiano reggiano, cream, and chicken.
- Add the biscuits on top of the chicken mixture, brush the tops with heavy cream or melted butter, and bake for 30-35 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown.
*These are the "BA's best biscuits" that came out as the winner of our internet famous biscuits bake off. You can make the biscuits in advance and freeze until ready to use (bake time may vary slightly using frozen instead of freshly made). You can also use packaged biscuits as a substitute.
**Any cooked chicken works for this recipe. I like using leftover grilled chicken breast and even making fun spins with variations of pulled chicken. Example: Tex-Mex pot pie made with Mexican style pulled chicken thighs
Serving Size:1/8th of recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 443Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 1230mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 17g